Use Paper Responsibly
- Print and copy double-sided.
- Use spell check and proofread before printing.
- Save one-sided paper to use for scratch paper, stock fax machines, and copy and print on as appropriate.
- Save paper by design: use narrower margins and smaller fonts as appropriate; use the reduction feature on copiers to fit more on one page.
- When you’re finished, recycle it!
- Create personal online folders instead of printing and filing all correspondences.
- Share magazine and journal subscriptions.
- Notify vendors who send each of us the same catalog to send only one publication to one designated staff member.
Turn Off the Lights
- Switch the lights off when leaving a room and at the end of the day.
Recycle Paper and More
- Recycle paper, cardboard, glass, metals and plastics.
Dispose of Office Waste Responsibly
- Recycle ink cartridges and batteries.
- Appropriately dispose of fluorescent light bulbs, computers, electronics, and other supplies.
- Use eco-friendly cleaning supplies and avoid or limit disposable cleaning products.
- Keep and use washable plates and mugs in the office.
- Use sponges, cloth napkins, and cloth towels instead of paper products.
- When disposables are necessary, choose recyclable products and avoid Styrofoam and plastic.
Turn on Power-Save Modes
- Use power-save modes on all equipment and appliances when available.
Minimize Use of Air Conditioning
- Turn off air conditioning and open windows on nice days.
Turn Off Electronics
- Turn off your computers monitor, printers, speakers, and copy machines before leaving each evening— these use energy even when not in use.
- Get rid of screen savers.
Commute to Work
Start a carpool; walk, bike, or take public transportation instead of driving. It adds up to cleaner air.
- Buy recycled content, remanufactured, and recyclable office products and paper goods.
- Buy compact florescent bulbs instead of incandescent or halogen bulbs.
- Buy in bulk—it uses less packaging.